Tuesday, February 4, 2020

A D V E R S I T Y
Micah 7:8


How do you react when you’re losing by a wide margin and your opponent rubs salt in your wounds with some trash-talk?  How does it feel to lose and to hear the snickers of the winners on their way to the locker room?  What should your attitude be in the face of such disrespect?

The prophet Micah had encountered such attitudes and writes about it in chapter 7 and verse 8, “Do not gloat over me, my enemy!  Though I have fallen, I will rise.  Though I sit in darkness, the Lord will be my light.”

Micah advises his triumphant enemy that it would not be wise to gloat over him.  He will come back.  He also says that though he knew the experience of sitting painfully in the darkness of despair, he would trust the Lord to give him direction for the future.

I love it when a competitor comes back to defeat an earlier trash-talking opponent through perseverance and self-control.  I’m impressed by the team that suffers quietly a disappointing loss, only to strengthen their resolve and to compete courageously the next time.

As you prepare for today’s competition, guard your heart from the foolish pride that comes with an early lead.  Don’t gloat over your enemy.  Even if you’re on the short side of the scoreboard, maintain your attitude and press through to the end, trusting the Lord to be your light to victory.


Bible Reading Plan:
Matthew 12:1-21
Acts 17:1-15
Exodus 10-12

L E G A C Y II Corinthians 3:2-3 Who are the coaches and players in your team’s history that are still impacting your lives today?  ...